Friday, May 2, 2008

OUCH!

So today was my first day in the gym with my initial trainer period (included in membership Thank God) We'll call him "Trainer Boy" or TBoy for short.

It was really just a physical assessment, not terribly taxing except for the fast paced mile walk on the treadmill. Not so much taxing as it was early, my first day, and I had on my regular sneakers, not my nice new fangled ones (more on those gems later)

The reason this post was listed as OUCH! was the slip of the tongue that my friendly and well meaning TBoy let come out of his mouth. It was time to measure body fat composition (can you see where this is going?)

I was happy to see that we were going to use the electronic version

and not the "pinch an inch" calipers that I detest.

I don't so much pinch an inch as much as I grab a slab. Anyway, you set in the parameters into this electronic fat-o-meter like height, weight, etc. and grab the metal handles like a steering wheel and it does it's calculations.

With all the future NBA star kids growing taller than me (at 6'7") it's odd when height ranges stop at 6'6". TBoy was calibrating the device and noticed that it would not measure me correctly

"This thing only goes up to 6'6" tall so it's going to skew your results. It's going to tell you that you're fatter than you actually are."

I love you TBoy. And no, I'm not mad at what you said... why don't you just... go to sleep.

He didn't mean anything by it, but after the assessment was over, I had scientific proof of what I already knew. It's time to get this lard ass off the couch and run me a marathon!

2 comments:

Bunny said...

I hate trainers. They try to be nice, but their disdain for anyone out of shape is palpable from the moment you meet them.

Just Kevin... said...

Dear Chris Grace aka Karen Carpenter... YOU are not fat.