Monday, April 28, 2008

T-Minus 5 days

I start training this coming Saturday. I thought I should not allow Saturday to be my first active day so I'm going to get up earlier (!) than usual this week to start running/walking so:
a. I get in the habit of getting up earlier to make those solo runs
b. like cleaning the house before the maid comes, I don't want to make too poor a showing this Saturday.

I'm an early bird anyway, but if there's one thing harder to do than getting up to go to work on a cold Monday morning (Chicago was 45 this morning) it's getting up to go outside and do anything remotely athletic.

Baby steps. That's going to be my mantra while getting started in this training. As I said before, I don't know how long a half marathon is (I've forgotten already CB! HA!) but I will need to think of training as a little bit, then increase it by a little. I don't want to get intimidated into excuses.

This morning was actually nice. The crisp air woke me up quickly. I live just off the lake so it was easy to get to the path that runs the lake front from WAY down south Chicago where the lakefront nearly turns in to Indiana all the way north to Hollywood Ave. Now I just did a mile down and back and that was it. I don't have all day! But maybe one day I'll find out what it's like to run the whole thing.... BWAH HA HA HA! I actually managed to say that with a straight face!

OK, off to work, energized and awake. Let's see how I am around 10am.

1 comment:

Stephen R. said...

Marathon training! Congrats! I can cab 26.2 miles but that's about it. :)